Bushfire Control

The Shire’s Ranger Services assists the Department of Fire and Emergency (DFES) with the monitoring, reporting and control of bushfires within Newman and Marble Bar's Municipal boundary. The Shire’s Fire Control Officers, have responsibilities under the Bushfire Act including liaison with various appointed Fire Control Officers at rural stations.

A restricted burning period applies all year ie. 1st January to 31st of December each year.

Permits to Burn are Required all Year Round.

The Bush Fire Act requires the Shire to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to reduce the risk of fires on property and to prohibit certain activities during periods of high risk. All properties must be kept clear of flammable material and overgrowth.

Fire prevention measures must be completed on all properties, including residential, commercial, industrial, rural and vacant land and be maintained all year round.

In addition, the Shire has Health Local Laws prohibiting the use of incinerators or burning on the ground in all residential areas at any time. The Local Laws seek to prevent the discharge of smoke into the atmosphere in such quantities or of such nature as to cause a nuisance. This not only prevents the risk of a fire outbreak but also improves the Town’s air quality and the health of our residents.

DFES have recently made changes made to their Bushfire Preparedness Material www.dfes.wa.gov.au/firechat 

Fire Permits

The Shire of East Pilbara has a permanent restricted burning period all year round and permits are required for the burning of any bush, timber and other refuse on any parcel of land.

When applying for a permit please ensure you are in a position to provide and comply with the following

  • The lot number and/or street address to which the permit will apply.
  • What firefighting equipment and resources will you have to control the fire?
  • What is the size of the area to be burnt?
  • Are firebreaks installed and can a fire unit get access to the area to being burnt?
  • What material are you going to burn?

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can you burn plastics, tyres, rubber, treated timber and any other materials that can produce noxious or carcinogenic gases.

Important Notices

Note: If it is impractical to comply with the provisions of any Notice or Permit, you must apply for a variation in writing with the Shire of East Pilbara. The Shire's Fire Control Officer will be required to examine any requests for variations or exemptions based on the individual merit of each application.

Permits to Burn

A Permit to Burn must be obtained before lighting any fire. Permits can only be obtained from the Shire of East Pilbara's Community Safety Department. The Community Safety Department can be contacted on (08) 9175 8000 or email: rangerservices@eastpilbara.wa.gov.au.