Infringement Notices

An infringement penalty is not a fine as only a Court can impose fines.  An infringement notice is a notice issued by the police, local government authority or other prosecuting agency, alleging that you have breached a particular law and giving you the opportunity to pay a fixed amount of money rather than go to court.

Infringement notices are generally issued for breaches of the law that are not as serious, such as minor traffic offences and parking offences. An infringement notice is often called a “ticket”, for example, a “speeding ticket”.

If you have received an Infringement you may choose to do one of the following things:

1. Pay the Infringement

If you do not wish to have a complaint of the alleged offence heard and determined by a Court, full payment of the penalty amount may be paid to an authorised person at the Shire's Administration office in Newman or Marble Bar within 28 days of the Date of Issue.

Payment can be made:

In person - to the cashier at Newman Administration Office, Cnr Kalgan Drive & Newman Drive, Newman or Marble Bar Administration Office, General Street, Marble Bar (Mon-Fri, 8.30 am - 4.30 pm).


By mail - using cheque or money order posted to:

Shire of East Pilbara
PMB 22
Newman WA 6753

Cheques and money orders must be made payable to the Shire of East Pilbara.  Please include your Full Name, Infringement Number, date of birth and if applicable the vehicle or animal registration details with your remittance.


By telephone - Payment can be made by telephoning the Newman administration Offices and providing the infringement details along with credit card details and personal particulars.

Be aware that if the penalty is not paid on or prior to the due date additional costs will be incurred.  This also applies if mailed payments are received after the due date.

2. Request a Review of the Infringement Notice

If you believe you have unfairly received an infringement notice, you have the right to appeal the infringement. Your request must be in writing and should be submitted to the Shire of East Pilbara, PMB 22, Newman WA 6753 or send an email to [email protected]


Please note the following:

  • An appeal will not be accepted by phone.
  • Requests may be accepted by email or fax, provided the recipients; Full Name, Date of birth and Residential Address is supplied to enable a response to be sent.
  • An appeal may only be made by the person to whom the infringement was issued.

Details of the infringement that need to be included in your appeal are:

  • Infringement number
  • Date of notice
  • Vehicle or animal registration details (if applicable)
  • Name, Date of birth, residential address and phone number
  • Postal address if different from residential address
  • Photocopies of all relevant supporting documentation
  • Detailed reasons why you believe an appeal should be granted. If this is a parking infringement appeal this must align with the Shire’s Parking Infringement Appeals Policy (attached).

You need to clearly state any mitigating circumstances that caused or contributed to the alleged offence.

All Requests are lodged and processed through an administration system. A letter of response advising the outcome of your request will be posted to you.

Once an appeal has been received, the infringement will be placed on hold to prevent further costs being applied whilst being reviewed.

3. Take the matter to Court

You may elect to have an alleged offence heard and determined by a court, by making an application in writing to:   

Chief Executive Officer
Shire of East Pilbara
PMB 22
Newman WA 6753  

On receipt of such a nomination, the Shire will make all necessary arrangements for the matter to be heard in the Magistrates' Court and you will receive a Prosecution Notice.  Be aware that if a matter is elected to be heard by a court a prosecution notice may be issued without any prior or further advice and additional costs may be incurred.

4. If You Take No Action

This matter may be registered with the Fines Enforcement Registry and additional costs will be incurred and your driver’s licence and/or vehicle licence may be suspended.

Parking Infringement Appeals Policy