Rates Print

Receive your rates by email Pay your rates

Pay Your Rates Online with BPOINT

You are able to pay your rates online using the service provided by BPOINT found here.

However, while the Shire of East Pilbara encourages you to use this service, please note that we are in no way affiliated with BPOINT and request that you direct any customer assistance queries directly to BPOINT. The Shire does not manage or maintain this service.

If you are having difficulties or would like further information on your Privacy please contact BPOINT here.

Direct Debit Request Form

Rates information!
Please see the 2020-2021 Budget Bulletin Here

Firebreak Notice PDF

Direct Debit Request Form
COVID and my rates?
Freezing Rates for the 2020-21 Financial Year
To ensure no additional financial burden is placed on ratepayers in the 2020-2021 financial year the Shire of East Pilbara will be freezing rate increases.
The Shire of East Pilbara will offer a 5% refund on rates payments to all owner/occupiers, local businesses and pastoralists in the 2020/21 financial year.
If you are an eligible ratepayer (owner/occupiers, local businesses and pastoralists) contact our Rates Department, they will send you an application form to access the 5% refund.
Remain at the 2019-20 Concession Percentages
Some rate payers are eligible for rates concession (discount), the discount was due to be decreased this year, so affected ratepayers would have paid more. To reduce financial burden the Shire will not be decreasing the rates concession this year, reducing the cost for affected rate payers. The Shire’s Rates Department will notify rate payers that will benefit from the concession percentages remaining in place.
Waiver of Fees Associated with Rates Installment Payments for Ratepayers Facing Financial Hardship
Rates instalment fees and interest will be waived for the 2020-21 financial year for ratepayers experiencing hardship. Ratepayers experiencing financial hardship are encouraged to complete a hardship application form, available from our Rates Department to apply for the installment fee to be waived.
The Shire of East Pilbara hopes reducing the financial impost associated with entering a rates payment arrangement for ratepayers already facing financial hardship, reduces any additional financial stress.
Waive Penalty Interest on 2020-21 Rates for Those Facing Financial Hardship
Penalty interest on rates and debts will be waived for the 2020-21 financial year for ratepayers experiencing hardship. Ratepayers experiencing financial hardship are encouraged to complete a hardship application form, available from our Rates Department to apply for this penalty interest to be waived.
The Shire of East Pilbara aims to provide respite to ratepayers experiencing financial hardship by waiving any additional fees associated with late payments.
Increase Flexible Payment Options for Rate Payers and Debtors who Qualify Under the Financial Hardship Policy
The Shire of East Pilbara has adopted a Financial Hardship Framework which is specific to COVID-19 financial hardship considerations. Under the framework, the Shire of East Pilbara is committed to offer fair, equitable and dignified support to rates debtors experiencing financial hardship as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ratepayers experiencing financial hardship are encouraged to complete a hardship application to access the increased flexible payment options. Please contact the rates Department for a copy of the form.

Find the hardship forms here
Frequently Asked Questions

What are Local Government rates and who pays them?
Council rates are a contribution each property owner makes towards the cost of providing facilities and services in their local community. Anyone owning residential, rural, vacant, industrial or commercial property in the Shire of East Pilbara is a ratepayer. Some government bodies, educational and registered charitable organisations are exempt from paying Council rates.

Where does the money go?
Rates are used to build and maintain the Shire's roads, parks, gardens, sporting facilities and to operate a multitude of community services.

When does the rate year run?
The rate year is 1 July to 30 June, the same as the Shire's financial year.

When will new rates be issued?
Rate notices can be issued any time after 1 July.

How are my rates calculated?
How much you pay depends on the value of your property. This value is determined by the State Government’s Landgate (formerly Valuer General’s Office [VGO]) in one of two ways, depending on the type of property you own:For properties that are predominately used for rural purposes, the Unimproved Value (UV) of the land is used. This is an estimate of the value of the land of the property assuming no improvement on the land.For properties that are predominately used for non-rural purposes, such as residential, industrial and business, the Gross Rental Value (GRV) is used. This is the estimate of the total rent that may be received from the property in one year. For more information on GRV and UV, visit the Landgate website.This value is then multiplied by the Council’s rate-in-the-dollar to determine your property’s annual rates.

For example: GRV of $250 per week x 52 weeks = $13,000 $13,000 x rate-in-the-dollar = Rates total.

The Shire of  East Pilbara's rate-in-the-dollar is determined each year at Budget time. Rates-in-the-dollar may vary for different categories of UV or GRV properties. This is called a Differential Rating System. Each year a minimum rate applies which is the minimum amount any property owner will be asked to contribute. This ensures a fair contribution is made by all property owners, regardless of their property’s value.

Can I object to paying my rates?
It is possible for you to object to your property’s rate record in two circumstances: If you are not the owner of the property for which you have received a rate notice and you believe your property is non-rateable.You can appeal your rate notice by contacting the Shire of East Pilbara on (08) 9175 8000 within 42 days of your rate notice being issued.

Valuations - Your valuation (GRV or UV) is only one factor used to calculate your rates notice. The Valuation of Land Act 1978 (as amended) Part IV sets out how valuation objections may be lodged. A property owner may lodge an objection against the valuation of a property within 60 days of the date of issue of a rates notice. For information on how your values are calculated and how to lodge an objection, please visit Landgate’s website landgate.wa.gov.au/valuations, or alternatively call Landgate Customer Service on +61 (0)8 9273 7373.
Rates Record - Section 6.76 of the Local Government Act 1995 provides the grounds, time and the way individual objections and appeals to the Rates Record may be lodged. An objection to the Rate Book must be made in writing to the council within 42 days of the date of issue of a rates notice.
Section 6.81 of the Local Government Act 1995 refers that rates assessments are required to be paid by the due date, irrespective of whether an objection or appeal has been lodged. In the event of a successful objection or appeal, the rates will be adjusted, and you will be advised accordingly. Credit balances may be refunded on request

See the reverse of your rate notice for more information.

What if I have moved?
If you have changed ownership of a property or moved house please contact the Council within 21 days to complete a change of name/address and ownership forms. Keeping our records up to date means the Council can ensure rate notices are forwarded to the correct address and avoids customers incurring any unwanted penalties including interest on overdue rates.

I am about to sell my property and there are still rates to be paid – how is this worked out?
This is done by your settlement agent at settlement, who will apportion the rates accordingly between the buyer and seller.

Sewerage rates 
Each year households in Newman receive two sewerage rates - one from Water Corporation and another from the Shire - Why?
A number of public meetings were held in 1995 regarding the future control of the Newman Treatment Plant from the Water Corporation in 1996.
This was mainly due to the Water Corporation’s desire to discontinue the use of the treatment plant and replace it with ‘facultative ponds’ which would have rapid deterioration of grassed areas on ovals and street trees etc, due to the higher salt content of water using this method of water treatment.
Sewerage rates paid to the Councils assist in the maintenance and operation of the treatment plant. This operation is fully self- funded from rates raised and a Water Corporation contribution of an annual fee ($84,500 in 1996 and since indexed to CPI). Rates paid to the Water Corporation are for water supply and sewerage disposal for properties within Newman.

Objects and Reasons