Fencing Print

You must apply to the Shire of East Pilbara for a fence licence if you intend to build, rebuild, reconstruct or alter any fence (including walls) which:

  1. Exceed 1200mm at the front of your block; or
  2. 1800mm on the remainder of the block.

Fences dividing properties are controlled by the Dividing Fences Act (1961).

This Act relates to fences that divide properties, and outlines the related legal responsibilities of the landowners. The Act also outlines the steps landowners should take to resolve any disputes which may arise.

The Citizens Advice Bureau of Western Australia may be able to assist on matters relating to the Act.

Please call the Shire for a brochure on Dividing Fences or visit the Department of Housing and Works here