The facility will be provided in a sectioned off area adjacent to Newman’s Boomerang Oval on the corner of Calcott Street and Iron Ore Parade, starting April 1st.
Shire President Lynne Craigie OAM said an increase and improvement in tourism was a priority for the Shire.
“We are excited to present Newman and our beautiful East Pilbara region as a great place to visit, and as a Shire, we are doing everything we can to provide the services people need to be able to visit,” she said.
“A lot of effort has gone into preparing this temporary camping option, it’s an expansion of the setup we had during 2020. The changes we are making this year means more people can visit and stay in our beautiful region.”
Bookings will be handled by the Newman Visitor Centre team and the cost of staying will be $20 for an unpowered site and $27 for a powered site per night.
Looking into the future, Council has approved the development of a permanent caravan park in Newman.
This year, the Shire has committed to Stage 1 of the project with an estimated completion date of July 2021.
- The temporary camping area will be open from April 1st to July 1st 2021.
- Contact the Newman Visitor Centre for bookings on 9175 2888.
- The 2020 temporary set up was very popular for Newman’s peak tourist season.
- Stage 1 of the Newman Caravan Park project has been budgeted by the Shire and is proposed to be completed by the end of the 2020/2021 financial year.
- Future stages of the caravan park will be guided by the development of a masterplan, subject to Council’s endorsement.